Editor’s note: Information for the campaign requesting that Illinois continue proclaiming October “OAKtober,” was submitted by the Chicago Region Tree Initiative.
- In 2015, the Chicago Region Trees Initiative spearheaded a project to raise awareness about
- the value of oaks and oak ecosystemsneed to restore them across Illinois
- the need to restore them across Illinois
- Our partners sent letters of support to Governor Rauner
- Governor Rauner signed a proclamation instituting October as OAKtober- Oak Awareness Month in Illinois.
Continuing to raise awareness
New governor, same request! In the beginning of August we are submitting an OAKtober- Oak Awareness Month proclamation request to our new governor, J.B. Pritzker. Click here to read our request.
We need your help! Here are some ideas for how you can get involved with OAKtober – Oak Awareness Month:
Plan an OAKtober event! Check the OAKtober website ChicagoRTI.org/OAKtober for inspiration: lectures, family days, guided hikes, native plant sales, stewardship days, and more! Event flyer templates and the OAKtober logo are downloadable and ready for use. Make sure to submit events here with keyword OAKtober.
Write an article or blog post about oaks in your area: why they’re important, what’s going on in your neck of the woods, where to paddle your canoe for the best oak appreciation, what oaks and companion species you’ve got for sale, and whatever is most relevant & important to your community.
Post to social media and use #OAKtober. (Tip: Posts that are brief and have pictures are shared most frequently!)
Let us know what you are doing (i.e. send pictures, updates, flyers, plans, etc) so we can share and promote your activities!